The Central App

'Surprise' fire ban for Central

The Central App

Staff Reporter

20 February 2026, 11:15 PM

'Surprise' fire ban for Central'We want people to be very vigilant': FENZ district manager. Image: FENZ

All outdoor fires will be banned across Central Otago from 8am Saturday February 21, as Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ) declares a prohibited fire season.


FENZ said the ban will remain in place until further notice, meaning no outdoor fires can be lit in the district.



District manager Craig Gold said the move may surprise some residents after a slow start to summer and fewer long, hot days than usual.


"However, it’s been quite deceptive. Our grasslands are now very dry, and the fire risk has been slowly but steadily increasing - notably in Cromwell, Lauder, Clyde and Butchers Dam," he said.


"We have reached the threshold where we need to declare a Prohibited Fire Season."



Craig said while several large, permitted burns had been successfully carried out over recent months, conditions had now changed.


"We appreciate the support of the farming community, in particular, in recognising that," he says.


Central Otago is predominantly grassland, creating significant fuel for fires that could quickly become difficult to control.


"We want people to be very vigilant," Craig says.



"A ban on all outdoor fires will reduce the number of callouts and allow Fire and Emergency crews to manage other fires that may occur."


Residents unsure whether their property falls within the prohibited area can check their address at www.checkitsalright.nz for specific information about their location.


FENZ is urging the community to take the restrictions seriously and help reduce the risk of potentially disastrous fires during the dry period.


Have a story to share or comment to make? Contact [email protected]