Kim Bowden
20 February 2026, 5:00 PM
Vincent by-election candidates, from left, Nat Jamieson, Louise van der Voort and Andrew Dowling. Images: SuppliedA little more than a quarter of eligible Vincent ward voters have returned their ballot papers ahead of a meet-the-candidates event in Alexandra today.
Some 2,103 voting papers had been received as of Friday, representing a 25.29 per cent return rate.
Voters have 10 more days to have their say in the by-election, which comes just months after ballots were last posted in October's local government elections.
Returning officer Anthony Morton said votes could only be counted if they were received by the midday deadline on Tuesday March 3.
He said voters still had time to return completed papers by mail, but Tuesday February 24 was the recommended final day to do so.
From February 25, voters were advised to use one of the council’s branded orange voting bins, he said.
Those bins were located at the Alexandra Service Centre on Dunorling Street, the council-owned Alexandra Library, Alexandra New World, Alexandra Woolworths, Clyde Night ’n Day and the Omakau supermarket.
Anthony said similar bins were used during the October elections and were well supported.
“Council received good feedback on the voting bin locations...and they were well used,” he said.
“Electors appreciated an alternative return option to the mail network, especially over the closing week. We expect a similar level of use for the current by-election.”

Vincent ward by-election candidate Andrew Dowling says his campaign t-shirt is a conversation starter. Image: Supplied
A meet-the-candidates event organised by Grey Power is being held today from 1.30pm to 3.45pm at the Alexandra District Club.
A second event, a breakfast meeting hosted by the Elevate Central business group is scheduled for 7am on Friday February 27. An RSVP is required.
First-time candidate Andrew Dowling said it felt a bit unusual campaigning so soon after an election cycle, but he had been out and about meeting residents across the ward and encouraging people to vote regardless.
“I’m having a great time meeting people and chatting away, learning as much about them as they are about me,” Andrew said.
He said the proposed Santana goldmine had been a frequent topic of conversation on the campaign trail.
“It’s great to see the depth of resolve people have to see our region prosper into the future, but with safeguards,” he said.
He encouraged voters not to put their ballot papers aside.
“Many have voted already, which is great. I hope the others don’t find the envelope on the coffee table mid-March,” he said.
Candidate Louise van der Voort, who narrowly missed out on election to the council in October, said people seemed really interested in the by-election.
"I think that's because affordability is a big issue for many households, and there are so many changes happening through government reform that will potentially affect people having a say about costs, delivery of services and the shaping of the future of Central Otago," she said.
"That's why people should exercise their vote and make sure they are well represented to get the best outcomes for Vincent."
Candidate Nat Jamieson was also approached for comment but did not respond by deadline.
Read more: Catch up on The Central App’s Q and A with all three candidates
Watch here: Candidate videos
Have a story to share or comment to make? Contact [email protected]
NEWS
FREE ADVICE
JOBS